Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas in the DR






Well I will have to admit, that this was the most different Christmas that I have had in my 22 years. But we still made it count. Thanks to my wonderful grandparents and family, we were able to do some service projects that kept our minds and our strengths completely occupied. We made sugar cookies for all of our investigators and a lot of the members of our ward, it was more than 250 cookies and it took sooooo much time, but we really had a blast. We also helped with the dinner of an inactive family, and gave some clothes and a game to a few families! It was fun. We took the plates of cookies to them and sang and read scriptures of Christ’s birth. I really, really enjoyed it! I think that my companion did too and she now has a new tradition and is going to teach her brothers to make cookies and they are going to do the same every Christmas. The people here have never tried anything like these cookies and yesterday at church at least 10 people asked me for the recipe. I really had fun and it reminded me of home, except I needed my Santa hat! haha !
Last week we had a Christmas party with half of the mission. It was really fun, we had a really spiritual program and we sang and read from the scriptures and watched a video of Christ. Then we had a lunch. The Dominicans hated it, oops. Because it was American food! Ham and potatoes and carrots and they threw in some rice with chili on top. I enjoyed it! Santa and Mrs. Clause came! (aka the Whitakers!) And they brought us goodies if we were good! We had a good time. It definitely wasn’t like the cooking of my family, but it was better than what I can do here. But of course the best part of my Christmas was hearing the voices of all of those I love the most.
I wanted to tell you a few stories of things that have happened.... first of all in about three lessons this week when we asked the question "what is a prophet?" They all said that we were. Haha and then we had to explain for about 10 minutes that we aren’t prophets, and tell them what one is. So I think that from now on we are just going to tell them what a prophet is and then ask them at the end. Also today was really great! (We watched Johnny Lingo!!!) In the morning my favorite investigator right now named Katherine, called us and I answered. She asked me if we could pass by later. She already has a date to be baptized but she needs to get married first, and she is great, really smart, and has a strong testimony already. She said that she had a dream last night, and she said that she doesn’t want to wait longer. She doesn’t want to live in her sins, and she wants to repent now and be baptized as soon as she can! I don’ exactly know what that means, but we were really excited so we are heading over there after this to see what’s up, I will keep you updated.
I will just tell you that the mission is hard, there are days when you feel like you are at the end of your rope, but that is just when you need to tie a knot and hold on. It really is worth it though! I love you all and miss you so much!
Hermana Reay

No comments:

Post a Comment